I took the month after we got married off from Facebook. In my last post I talked about how I don't understand Twitter and don't really care to. However, I LOVE Facebook. Not just because I'm super nosy but because it makes me feel connected to everyone.
I recently moved away from what I would deem as home, even though I have moved more times than I care to admit (cough, cough 68, cough, cough). This last move was definitely more difficult than I had imagined. I have been desperately trying to keep in contact with all those I miss via Facebook. I decided I had been spending too much time when my husband and I were sitting next to each other both on our laptops looking through Facebook instead of spending quality time together. In all honestly that would not seem so big of a deal except we only get to see one another two nights a week, if that.
I deleted Facebook from my phone and logged off for a complete month. It was hard the first week and then became really easy. I logged back on at the end of our honeymoon. I enjoy being on Facebook. I keep up to date with my nieces and nephews and siblings. I am able to reach out to those who don't live close enough to make a jaunt to go see.
HOWEVER, I realized that I put a lot more into all of my Facebook relationships than those I am "friends" with. Out of over 700 friends I have I only spoke to maybe 10 people in the month I was unplugged. But I was able to really speak to them. To be truly present for them and more importantly for my husband.
I actually felt completely disconnected and it was nice after the pain and disappointment subsided. I was able to complete my goals for the month. I connected/reconnected to 10 people and spent as much time as possible in quality time with my husband. I read one book (I wanted to read 4), I started working out regularly again, began spending quiet time alone and truly be able to see who my "friends" really are.
I suppose I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. But given that I have family all over the country and David has family all over the country it truly is handy to keep everyone updated. When it comes to friends I haven't decided how I feel about them. But alas, that is the nature of life I think. We get busy and egocentric and that is ok. It truly has to be. However, it needs to be balanced. I find myself continually attempting to keep the kindle of friendship going and I think I'm tired of it. I think that all relationships need to be reciprocated. I wonder how that will pan out.
It's time to take care of me and surround me with those who want to be a part of my life, not just be witness to it.... looks like it's time to do a big delete again. :-)
jko
No comments:
Post a Comment